Tuesday, January 31, 2017

CASE'ING A JUNKIE

Hi there blog friends!  

I was so inspired by a technique I recently saw on Technique Junkie's blog, developed and introduced by the incredible TJ designer Beth Norman.  She called it "Polished Stone Embossing" and once I saw her tutorial, I knew I just had to try it.  

The first two cards I'm showing were done on Ranger Gloss Paper and the third, was done on Yupo paper.  I hadn't used my alcohol inks in quite some time, so I was anxious to get them out and see what I could make using Beth's tutorial.  


I love how this Kitty Profile "emerged" from the color of the background.  Truly, this photo doesn't do it justice.  It's much more brilliant, but I'm sure you can see the colorful impact of it anyway.  For this card I used Beth's tutorial as she posted it.  



Then, I thought I would experiment with her technique and with several embossing powders on this image "Beach Conch".  In real life, some of these shells look iridescent to me, so I wanted to try and recreate the image I had in my mind.  I decided to do a triple heat embossing (and I have no idea where that idea came from).  

A stamp positioner (I used a MISTI) is a great tool to use with this variation of Beth's technique.  It's heat embossing three different embossing powders, one layerd upon the other, after each has been heat embossed.  The process is the same with each layer.  Stamp with VersaMark, sprinkle with the first embossing powder and heat set with a heat gun.  Repeat with the second embossing powder and then the third, stamping right over each of the previous. I fussy cut the shell and mounted it on a scalloped layer of mint green card stock, positioning it beneath the sentiment "By The Sea"



For my final attempt using Beth's technique, I used Yupo paper and "Peonies".  I've never used this paper before, and I was excited to try it here.  The learning curve with this paper is the heat embossing...the paper is plastic and plastic melts under heat....beware.  That said, if you're careful and don't hold the heat directly on the yupo for long it embosses nicely.  If you notice, there are two areas on the layer that are missing color...I think these are areas where the embossing powder didn't get hit by the heat and weren't embossed. (I was trying to be careful)  However, I really liked the effect it gave and I might try and do that on purpose in future projects.  

I hope you're inspired to try Beth's technique and can grab yourself some crafting time this week....it's a fun place to be. 

Stop by tomorrow when we have our blog hop and show off the Technique Junkies February 2017 stamps being released.  You'll be able to pick them up, for a limited time, at 15% off.  See you then!  




3 comments:

Beth Norman said...

Oh Cheri, I'm an so humbled, and honoured that you mentioned me and my tutorial. Your cat rocks. I have to put it on my wish list now because you truly brought the stamp to life. I love the triple embossing. You got very creative yourself. I love to see what others do within the same technique. Your peonis are beautiful as well.

On a side note, I'm meeting with a gentlman who looks after my Wordpress blog behind the scenes. He's been after me for six years to shoot a tutorial and finally I feel confident enough to do one and guess what it is about? Polished Stone Embossing. LOL.

Karen (TLgirl353) said...

No wonder you had to try that technique- beautiful my friend!

Michele said...

these are gorgeous! xo

Blog Archive

I hope you enjoy some of my cards

Please sign my guest book